The following information will guide you on how to add a dependent spouse or minor child to your SEVIS record and Form DS-2019.

Complete the Request to Add Dependent to SEVIS Record for F-1 and J-1 Students form and submit all required documents to ISSS.

Once your application to add a new dependent has been reviewed and approved, ISSS will issue a new Form DS-2019 for you and your dependent(s).

Change of Status:
In order for your dependent to change status to J-2, s/he will either have to obtain a J-2 visa abroad and enter the U.S. in J-2 status, or file for a change of status in the U.S. Please click here for information on Obtaining J-2 Status.

Studying and Working in J-2 Status:
There is no regulatory restriction on study for J-2 dependents. J-2 dependents are allowed to apply for employment authorization for up to one year at a time. Click on Work Permission for Dependents in J-2 Status for more information.