Travel and Reentry

Travel Instructions for F-1 Students
This section will provide you with information regarding reentering the U.S. after a temporary absence. If you plan to leave the U.S. and return to the University of Miami, you must have the necessary documents to permit entry to another country and reentry to the U.S.

Entry to another country
If you wish to temporarily visit your country of citizenship or permanent residency, you will be allowed to enter that country if you hold a valid passport. Before temporarily visiting a country other than your country of citizenship or permanent residency, you must check on entry visa requirements for said country. Go to for the addresses and phone numbers of all foreign embassies located in Washington D.C.

Reentry to the U.S.
To reenter the U.S. after a temporary absence (i.e., an absence of five months or less), you must have a properly endorsed Form I-20, a valid passport, and a valid F-1 visa (not required for citizens of Canada).

Properly endorsed Form I-20: If you have already used your Form I-20 to enter the U.S. once, then you must have page 2 of your Form I-20 endorsed by your ISSS Advisor. This page, when properly endorsed, may be used for reentry to attend the same school after a temporary absence from the U.S. Each certification signature is valid for one year from date of signature, or until the Form I-20 expiration date, whichever comes first. E-mail to request an updated signature.

In the case that you have left the U.S. without a valid I-20, read the ISSS handout titled "Traveling Without a Valid I-20 or DS-2019" for instructions.

Valid Passport: You must have a passport that is kept valid at all times while you are in the U.S. If your passport will expire within six months, contact your embassy in the U.S. and make arrangements to renew as soon as possible.

Valid F-1 visa: The U.S. visa tells you by which date you may enter the U.S. The expiration date of the visa has nothing to do with how long you may remain in the U.S. – that is determined by your I-20 and I-94.  However, if you are traveling abroad and wish to reenter the U.S., then you must have a valid F-1 visa in your passport.

Documents you will need for visa issuance: You will need a valid passport, a current photograph, a properly endorsed Form I-20, proof of financial capability for continuing studies, and continued nonimmigrant intent. Go to the Department of State website for other documents you may need. Information on applying for an F-1 visa is also available on the ISSS website.

Where to apply: Although you may be able to secure an original or renewal of an F-1 visa in a foreign country other than your own, your chances of being issued an F-1 visa are greatest when you apply at a U.S. consular office in your country of citizenship or permanent residency. You may face more stringent requirements in a third country and should allow more time in case of delays. It is not possible to obtain an F-1 visa in the U.S.

When to apply: You usually cannot apply for a new visa until 90 days before the expiration of the old one.

Visa voidance: If you have overstayed or been unlawfully present during your studies immediately prior to leaving the U.S., you might be subject to visa voidance. Such overstayed students would be subject to payment of the $200 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee and would need to obtain a new F-1 visa stamp in the home country in order to reenter the U.S. The SEVIS fee must be paid online through use of a credit card, locally using the Western Union Quick Pay service, or by mail through use of a check or money order at least three days prior to the date SEVIS fee payment verification is required by the U.S. Consular Office. ISSS highly recommends that you file and pay the required SEVIS fee online with a credit card or in person through the Western Union Quick Pay service instead of by mail with a check or money order since the online option and the Western Union Quick Pay option result in speedier processing of your required fee payment. Please ask your ISSS Advisor for detailed information on options for payment of the SEVIS fee.

Visa revocation following a DUI: The U.S. Department of State is revoking visa foils ("stamps") of foreign nationals following a conviction or an arrest for driving under the influence (DUI), driving while intoxicated (DWI), or a related criminal charge. Individuals are notified of their visa cancellation by email (address used on the visa application). An individual in nonimmigrant status whose visa has been prudentially revoked will have to obtain a new visa in order to be readmitted to the United States after temporary travel abroad. In order for the visa to be issued, the foreign national will first need to be cleared by a panel physician following a medical screening, which may result in a visa denial or delay. A student who has their visa revoked should talk to an immigration attorney.

"Automatic revalidation of visa" benefit: Under certain circumstances, you may reenter the U.S. with an expired visa as though the visa were still valid. An expired F-1 visa may be considered to be automatically extended to the date of application for readmission to the U.S. (and therefore the visa in the passport need not have an expiration date that is in the future), provided you do the following:

  1. Apply for readmission to U.S. after an absence not exceeding 30 days in contiguous territory (Canada or Mexico) or adjacent islands (Saint Pierre, Miquelon, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Bermuda, the Bahamas, Barbados, Jamaica, the Windward and Leeward Islands, Trinidad, Martinique, and other British, French, and Netherlands territories or possessions in or bordering on the Caribbean Sea other than Cuba);

  2. Maintain lawful F-1 status and intend to continue doing so;

  3. Present a valid passport containing Form I-94 which authorizes a stay beyond the date of entry (e.g., D/S);

  4. Present a properly endorsed Form I-20.

Under these circumstances, you may be saved the necessity of applying for a new F-1 visa even if your visa has expired. A student whose visa has been canceled or voided is not eligible for automatic revalidation of visa benefit. Citizens of “state sponsors of terrorism” cannot take advantage of the automatic revalidation benefit. Any non-immigrant who chooses to apply for a new visa while in contiguous territory is not eligible for the automatic revalidation benefit during the course of that trip, but has to wait until the visa is granted in order to enter the U.S.

Transfers: If you have lawfully transferred schools while in the U.S., the visa will specify the school for which it was initially issued. In this instance you may reenter with an unexpired F-1 visa and Form I-20 from the new school without having the new school's name reflected on the visa.

Status Violation and Travel: If you have violated your F-1 immigration status prior to traveling abroad and wish to seek reentry to the U.S. with a new Form I-20 to resume your F-1 status, you must pay the $200 SEVIS fee and apply for a new visa prior to being able to seek reentry to the U.S. with proper documentation. Refer to I-901 SEVIS Fee for information on procedures regarding payment of the SEVIS fee.

OPT Students: If you have applied for post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) and have graduated but have not yet received an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), you must also present the Form I-797 receipt notice for the pending EAD application to reenter the U.S.

If you graduated and received the EAD for post-completion OPT, you must also present the EAD and a letter from your current or prospective employer to reenter the U.S. page 2 of your new Form I-20 with approved OPT dates must be validated for travel within the last six months.

Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts:  Ensure that you are traveling safely by reviewing the Department of State (DoS) International Travel Information web page.  On the DoS website, you will find travel warnings, travel alerts, country specific information, and country background notes.   There is also a section titled “Tips for Traveling Abroad” for other important health and safety information. 

Safeguard and Retain Your Documents:  It is your responsibility to retain copies of all your immigration documents and all immigration applications (Form I-20 or Form DS-2019, employment, change of status, program extension, etc.) for your records/future use.

Request Form I-20 with Updated Travel Certification Signature

Email ISSS at and request an Form I-20 with an updated travel certification signature. ISSS will issue a new I-20 with an updated travel certification signature, which will be sent to your UM email address.

Travel Tips

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has issued important reminders to assist international students expected to arrive in the United States.

These reminders for international students registered in the Student Exchange and Visitor Information System (SEVIS) are intended to ensure that legitimate students are quickly processed at ports of entry. A comprehensive list of answers to frequently asked SEVIS questions has also been posted online at and

DHS recommends international students hand carry (do not check with your baggage) the following documents:

- Your passport;
- Your SEVIS Form I-20;
- Evidence of financial resources;
- Evidence of student status, such as tuition receipts, transcripts or letter of acceptance;
- Paper receipt for the SEVIS fee; and
- The name and contact information of your designated school official (International Student and Scholar Services Advisor).

Important Note:

Familiarize yourself with U.S. entry procedures prior to arrival. When traveling to the U.S., you should carry your printed UM I-20 along with your passport, student visa, and I-901 SEVIS fee receipt. Do not put these documents into your checked baggage! Present your documents to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at the U.S. port-of-entry.

Visit the Newly Admitted International Students page for information on International Student Orientation and other important resources.

Traveling without a valid Form I-20
Failure to have all proper documentation upon re-entry to the U.S. may be a cause for delay when going through the U.S. port-of-entry, and may be reason for the officer to send you to Secondary Inspections. Please click here for information on what to do if you do not have a valid Form I-20 upon reentering the U.S.