The following information will guide you on how to add a dependent spouse or minor child to your SEVIS record and Form I-20.

1.) Complete the Request to Add Dependent to SEVIS Record for F-1 and J-1 Students form and submit all required documents to ISSS:

2.) Original Form I-20 (F-1 visa students) or DS-2019 (J-1 visa students);

3.) Copy of dependent(s) passport biographical page;

4.) Copy of marriage certificate translated into English (to add spouse);

5.) Copy of child’s birth certificate translated into English (to add child); and

6.) Acceptable evidence of financial support for both you and your dependent(s) for one year.

Once your application to add a new dependent has been reviewed and approved, ISSS will issue a new Form I-20 for you and your dependent(s).

Change of Status:
In order for your dependent to change status to F-2, s/he will either have to obtain an F-2 visa abroad and enter the U.S. in F-2 status, or file for a change of status in the U.S. Please click here for information on Obtaining F-2 Status.

Studying and Working in F-2 Status:
1.) F-2 spouses may not engage in a full course of study.

2.) F-2 spouses and children are permitted to enroll in "less than a full course of study," even if the course of study done part-time leads to or counts towards a degree.

3.) Study that is "avocational or recreational in nature" is permitted "up to and including on a full-time basis."

4.) F-2 children may engage in full-time study in any elementary or secondary school (kindergarten through 12th grade).

5.) To pursue full time study other than that permitted by this section, the F-2 must apply for and obtain a change of status to F-1, J-1, or M-1.

6.) An F-2 spouse and child violates his or her nonimmigrant status by enrolling in any study except as provided here.

7.) F-2 spouses and children do not qualify for employment.