Program Extensions for F-1 Students

Extension of F-1 stay

If you are unable to complete your degree program within the time period indicated on the admission I-20, you may request a program extension if the delay is caused by compelling academic or medical reasons:

  • Illness (requires medical documentation from a licensed medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, or licensed clinical psychologist)
  • Change in major field of study
  • Change in research topic
  • Unexpected research problems
  • Annual extension (only applicable to students in J-1 status)

Application for extension MUST be made prior to the completion date on your I-20. Your academic advisor is required to certify that the delay in completing program requirements was caused by a compelling academic or medical reason, and that you are making progress toward completion of your degree.

You will also be asked to provide your most recent Form I-94 and Proof of Financial Support as per

If your delay in completing your program is not for one of the reasons discussed above, or if you do not apply prior to the completion date on your I-20, you will be considered to be out-of-status and must apply for reinstatement.

Complete the  Extend Program Request for Students in F-1 and J-1 Status form to apply for a program extension.